Report Whistleblower Retaliation
Whistleblower retaliation occurs when an employer punishes an employee for engaging in protected activity. To present a claim of whistleblower retaliation, you must demonstrate the following:
- You engaged in protected activity by:
- Reporting improper governmental activity,
- Cooperating with an investigation into improper governmental activity, or
- Refusing to obey an illegal order or directive;
- You were subjected to an adverse employment action; and,
- The adverse employment action occurred because you engaged in the protected activity.
The California Office of the Inspector General has the authority to review whistleblower retaliation complaints from CDCR employees against members of CDCR management. If you are trying to report that an incarcerated person has been subjected to retaliation by a CDCR employee, please use the Report Misconduct form.