Public Records Act Request Guidelines
Public records maintained by the Office of the Inspector General are available for public inspection according to the following procedures:
- Records are available for inspection during regular business hours, Monday throughFriday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Requests for inspection or copying of public records:
- Should be specific, focused and sufficiently describe the records so that they can be identified, located, and retrieved by the Office of the Inspector General staff;
1) Where a request is not specific and focused, Office of the Inspector General staff may assist the requester to identify the requested information, describe the technology or physical location of the record, and provide suggestions on how to overcome practical barriers to disclosure.
- Should not interfere with the ordinary business operations of the Office of the Inspector General. The operational functions of the Office of the Inspector General will not be suspended to permit inspection of records during periods in which such records are reasonably required by the Office of Inspector General personnel in the performance of their duties. If the request requires review of numerous records, a mutually agreeable time shall be established for the inspection of the records; and
- Inspection of records will be allowed upon conditions determined by the Office of the Inspector General. Upon either the completion of the inspection or the oral request of Office of the Inspector General staff, the person conducting the inspection shall relinquish physical possession of the records. Persons inspecting Office of the Inspector General’s records shall not destroy, mutilate, deface, alter, or remove any such records from the Office of the Inspector General. The Office of the Inspector General reserves the right to have Office of the Inspector General personnel present during the inspection of records in order to prevent the loss or destruction of records.
- The Office of the Inspector General may refuse to disclose any records which are exempt from disclosure under the Public Records Act. (See e.g, Gov. Code § 6254 et seq.)
- Copies of records that are not exempt from disclosure are available upon pre-payment of the copying costs (.10 cents per page).
- These guidelines shall be posted in a conspicuous public place in the Office of the Inspector General and a free copy shall be provided upon request.